- The Amazon sex position is like cowgirl but the penetrating partner pulls their knees to their chest.
- Benefits of the Amazon sex position include deeper penetration and easy access to the clitoris.
- Variations of the Amazon sex position include kneeling Amazon and reverse Amazon.
- Visit Insider's Health Reference library for more advice.
No matter how enjoyable your sex life is, it can be fun to mix it up.
RelatedSex therapists share the 6 best-of-the-best sex positions for maximum pleasure
In fact, a large 2016 study found that people in three year or longer relationships who tried new positions in bed were more likely to feel as sexually satisfied throughout their relationship as they did during its first six months.
One fun position to try is the amazon sex position. Almost like a reverse missionary, it involves the person being penetrated straddling their partner, says Megan Harrison, LMFT, a relationship therapist at Couples Candy.
Benefits of the Amazon sex position
The Amazon sex position is enjoyable for both partners.
"Some people like it because it allows you to bounce with the support of your partner's thighs. Others enjoy the view from down below. Some enjoy the capacity to play with dominance and submission," says Jessica O'Reilly, PhD, a sexologist and relationship expert at Sex With Dr. Jess.
According to Harrison, the amazon position is a great choice because it:
- Allows easy access to stimulate the clitoris manually or with a sex toy.
- Lets the person being penetrated have control of the angle and depth of penetration.
- Allows for eye contact, which increases sexual intimacy and deepens the connection.
- Can involve shallow penetration, which is beneficial for people who experience pain from deep penetration like those with endometriosis.
Warning: Harrison cautions that this may not be the best position for people who experience muscle or joint pain during sex as it requires flexibility, core strength, and stability.
How to do it:
If you're looking to try new things in the bedroom, the amazon position comes in three variations: standard, reverse, and kneeling. It's all about finding what's comfortable for you and your partner.
The standard amazon position gives the top person control on how deep and the speed at which they're being entered, says Harrison.
According to O'Reilly, these are the steps to do a standard amazon:
- The person with the penis or strap-on lies on their back.
- They then pull their knees up to their chest.
- The partner being penetrated kneels facing them with their partner between their legs.
- The partner being penetrated then slides their torso between the other partner's bent legs with their feet placed firmly on either side of their hips, in a squatting position.
- Penetration takes place as the person slides on top.
This variation allows the person being penetrated to rest on their partner and provides easier access to anal sex. To do it, the partner on the bottom follows the above steps 1 through 2 while the partner being penetrated:
- Kneels facing away from the bottom partner, in between their legs.
- Slides their torso between the bottom partner's calves.
- Places their feet or shins on either side of the bottom partner's hips.
If the person being penetrated wants a break from or to skip squatting altogether, the kneeling Amazon is the way to go, says O'Reilly.
In this case, the top person gets in a standard amazon position but puts their knees down instead of their feet. It also relieves pressure on the bottom person and changes the angle of penetration.
The amazon sex position can be a fantastic addition to your sex life as long as both partners communicate how comfortable they feel.
"This position is a little challenging physically, and it requires a little patience and practice to master," says Harrison. "The penis is in a slightly more unnatural position, extended downwards. So it's crucial that the person on top finds the rhythm and straddles safely without potentially harming the penis-owner on the bottom."
Of course, people using strap ons won't have this issue. And for people with a shorter penis, she recommends trying the position with a longer dildo to prevent potential injury.